With the weekend just around the corner, it’s often difficult to stay on track in terms of your health and fitness goals. Eating out, as much as it is an enjoyable experience, can have a significant impact on your health. Unfortunately, restaurant meals are often full of calories including saturated fat, sodium and sugars which make these meals taste as delicious as they do. Indulging in restaurant dishes frequently tend to be costly, not only in terms of money, but in time and nutrition as well.
For those of you who are set on achieving your health and fitness goals, you might find that eating out is not an enjoyable experience at all. Instead of embracing the experience, atmosphere and company you, you are too busy calculating the implications certain dishes will have on your goals. To alleviate this feeling, we have put together 14 strategies to be used to make the healthier choice when eating out.
14 Strategies for healthier food choices:
- Look up the menu online beforehand to preselect a healthy meal.
- Try not to arrive starving, when your eyes are bigger than your stomach your health and fitness goes out the window.
- Ask the waiter not to bring bread or chips, to ensure your health is put first.
- Always order a water, even if ordering another beverage, especially if it’s alcohol. This can assist greatly with maintaining your fitness levels.
- Start the meal with a salad or broth soup packed with veggies. This is the ideal health kick you need.
- Choose a side salad or fruit over chips or any type of fried potatoes.
- Ask if a main meal can be halved, or order a lunch portion, if available.
- Select grilled, baked or steamed dishes over fried.
- Choose leaner proteins such as chicken, fish or loin beef cuts.
- Request no added oil, butter, salt or sugar.
- Ask for dressings, sauces and condiments to be served on the side.
- Fill up on veggies to avoid overindulging
- Start by eating the lowest calorie foods first to feel more satisfied before consuming higher calorie foods.
- Share dessert with the table and have just a bite or two, or enjoy seasonal fruit as dessert.
Eating out at a restaurant is common in society today and so it is important to be smart about the meal choices you make. Implementing the above strategies will help you to stay on track in terms of your health and fitness goals and ensure that your eating out experience is less stressful.
If you are interested in becoming a Fitness Nutrition Specialist, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Gaining this qualification can help you to help others with achieving their health and fitness goals.