It is well known that before you come to work, you have to leave your informal self back home. In the office, you’re an employee, someone who’s supposed to go about his work in the most professional manner. There is a way to talk to your superiors, to your peers and your subordinates. This mode of communication is known as workplace communication and is typically formal and to the point. So how does one get the required workplace communication skills and what is the importance of communication skills in the workplace?
Communication Skills in the Workplace
What are the good workplace communications skills?
1. Courteousness: A person should always be courteous while speaking to anyone in the workplace, whether senior or junior. One should not speak disparagingly with juniors, while speaking in a laudatory way with seniors. Courteousness should be maintained in the workplace irrespective of rank.
2. Precision: You’re not supposed to sit and chat in the workplace. Workplace communication is born out of necessity and should be completed as quickly as possible. Workplace communication mostly consists of delegating tasks and reporting results. So, keep it short.
3. Language: One should never use any slang terms while at work. Business communication should be crisp and clear so that everyone understands what you’re saying. Slang terms bring in the eventuality of misunderstanding and also look unprofessional. So, one should avoid using slang in office.
4. Low Speaking Volume: One comes across so many loud-talkers. Perhaps they are naturally so or do so deliberately to drive some point across. But speaking loudly is disturbing to other people around you hence; a low speaking volume should be maintained.
5. Clarity: It is also essential to ensure that the person you are speaking with has completely understood what you have to say. Hence, one should speak very slowly and clearly. If you have a strong ethnic accent, you should make sure that you talk slowly so that the other person gets what you have to say. It is always good to ask, “have you understood?” just in case someone doesn’t get what you have to say.
6. Listen to Others: Most people think of effective communication as a one-way thing. But it is very important to also be a good listener and not just a good talker. Others too often have something to say or to contribute to a discussion hence, listening too, is one of the effective communication skills at work.
7. Posture and Body Language: They say actions speak louder than words and the same can be considered to be true at the workplace. The body has a language of its own too, and at the workplace, the body ought to be courteous. There are simple things to keep in mind, whether it is wishing everyone ‘good morning’ at work, or having a courteous smile on your face, being well-dressed in office or sitting erect when someone is talking to you. All these things too are included in the superset of workplace communication skills.
Why is workplace communication important?
If one understands the significance or importance of something, then I feel that they do that thing better. So instead of just dishing out all the important workplace communication skills, I feel it is equally important for people to understand, what is the big deal about it? It is important to be formal and cordial in the workplace for several reasons. Firstly, you are viewed by everyone in the office as someone who has a positive influence in the workplace. Such people are always desired by companies. Secondly, you learn to get your point across effectively and ensure that the work is done the way it should be. And thirdly, (I’m being a bit informal here) it makes you look like a team player and makes you more loved by the company overall!
Who does workplace communication impact on?
Workplace communication impact on each and every person that you interact with on a day to day basis in the workplace both internal and external customers
What is the impact of bad workplace communication?
If good communication does not exist, then actions will not be completed. As this will develop into problems within the organisation. If the management does not keep in touch will the staff it can lead to demotivation in the business and the business does not work to its full potential. If customers receive poor customer service, then they are unlikely to return and it can also affect sales which also affect the businesses aims and objectives as they did not reach them. in addition, without communication, bad decisions can occur as well which could result in a loss of jobs or money which affects the business. In an organisation there has to be communication. With the right communication, the business will function and departments will gain more understanding to make critical decisions. Also, it ensures information is accurate and on time for customers and employees. if there is no communication then there is no business
Effective Communication Tips
The art of communication is one of the distinctive attributes of the human species. The human evolution has developed language and communication that separates it from the rest of the animal species. Social scientists believe that communication and language have led to the intermingling of a plethora of religions, cultures and sciences all over the world. From the inception of the iron age to the blistering 21st century, communication techniques have assumed various forms. Be it the interpersonal relationships with our spouse, kids, parents and friends or the professional relationships in the workplace, effective communication tips are the key to success and ultimately happiness.
Effective Communication Skills
According to a study carried out by linguists, words just constitute 7% of the effective communication skills. Other elements of effective communication techniques, like body language, facial expressions, oration skills and confidence constitute, 93% of the effective communication skills.
Let the Other Party Speak First!
One of the most effective communication tips is to let the others make their points and come up with issues that they think are necessary in order to solve the problem, first. If you don’t let the other party speak first, you may miss some important point. Besides that, the other party may think you are not considerate about their viewpoint and this can turn the communication to a wrong track. Don’t interrupt the person in between and start your own stream of arguments. Be it business communication or personal relationship communication, first let the other party speak. You will get chance to speak!
Listening is an Art
Listening is an essential part of every sphere of communication. Whether you are in a business meeting or are with your spouse, if you are not listening to their views (remember, ‘listening’ and not ‘hearing’) you may be wasting your time and also hampering a good relationship. Listen to the arguments and points put forward by the other person and then leave some time to think. If you can develop the ability to listen well, it’s like mastering a skill that will pay you rich dividends in the longer term of your career. Even in the corporate world, effective listening is of utmost importance.
Reach a Decision!
Instead of beating about the bush and just trying to play a blame game, try to reach a decision. Present your concerns and feelings about the issue and then ask the person what are the common things on which we can take a common stand. It is better to finish the issue once instead of carrying the burden of it into the future. Analyze all the points and reach to a decision.
Effective Communication at Workplace
Effective workplace communication is an art that every employee must learn, in order to gel in a team and help the company grow to new heights. Workplaces are full of employees from different backgrounds and cultures and it is highly probable that there are differences of opinion. So, the crucial role of effective workplace communication becomes more important. You may read more on effective communication in the workplace.
Communication is technically the process of the transfer of information between the communicating entities. But we know the meaning implied by communication is much more than mere transfer. It is the sharing of one’s thoughts and feelings with the intension of being understood. Communication results from the need of expression and results in the exchange of ideas. Communication is an integral part of daily life and plays a major role in all walks of life. Effective office communication is a key factor in the success of an organization.
Office communication includes the communication between the employees as well as the business talks and communications with the clients of the company. The interactions between company employees determine the work environment and organization culture. Communication involves in formal meetings, discussions with clients or business negotiations have a direct effect on the company business.
Office communication could be verbal or a non-verbal one. It could be a telephone conversation or one using an electronic mode of communication. The bottom line is that it needs to be effective. You need to express yourself clearly and completely. The person on the other end should understand you. An effective communication is the one that includes clarity in expression and exchange of ideas and emotions. Let us see some forms of office communication and ways to make the communication effective.
Office communication over a Telephone
• While conversing on phone, remember to start the conversation by introducing yourself. It is important to convey to the receiver of your call who you are and the purpose behind your call. Remember that you are taking his precious time.
• Keep your conversation brief and precise. Make your point without wasting time much time in coming to the actual topic. A telephone talk is quite impersonal, as it does not involve a face-to-face communication. Gestures and facial expressions do not exactly support communication because you are not visible to the person receiving your call.
• If you do not happen to get to the person on the phone, you might prefer leaving a message. Clarity is again of prime importance. To make it easy for the person to reply, leave your phone number with the message.
• In case, you have not been able to answer your calls, respond to them. The person who has been trying to call you might have been in need to communicate with you. It could be urgent. So, it is better to reply to the unanswered calls.
• Do not end the call abruptly. Make your point, give the person on the other end, a chance to respond and end the call with a suitable greeting. It is important to give due consideration to the age and position of the person on the call.
Effective Electronic Communication
• Emails help in case of language barriers and accent problems. They lack the audio component, making them even more impersonal. Emails are useful in case of a time difference due to the varying time zones of different countries.
• Electronic communication increases the turnaround time, as it lacks immediate feedback. A phone call can actually take less time than writing out the thoughts and mailing them. Some may find it difficult to express themselves through writing. They might prefer personalized calls.
• But emails are best options for formal communication. Of course, you need to be careful in writing because electronic communication puts your expression into black and white. Precision in expression and a thoughtful use of words are essential constituents of written communication.
• Do not respond to emails without considering the effects of your response. Think before you write! Forwarding options in e-mails should be used carefully.
In general, you will have a mix of cultures at office. People around you will be of different ages and educational as well as family backgrounds. Remember to consider these differences while communicating with your colleagues or clients. Your words impact your relationships with the co-workers. The office communication influences your office work, thereby affecting the organization as a whole.
Business deals happen over phone, contracts are signed over the electronic media, thus making these ways of communication, key players in business. Learning to effectively communicate is the need of the day. Effective office communication is the vital component of the corporate world. So, are you ready to make a new entry into this world? This time you will be equipped with the tips to effective office communication.
Corporate communication today is the result of phenomenal progress in the electronic technology. Gadgetry such as the mobile phone and the Internet connectivity has harnessed the boon of electronic communication for the employer as well as the employee. The success of corporate workplace communication largely depends on the speed at which important information is disseminated, the accuracy of vocabulary, proper use of business etiquette and that of communication and of course, optimum use of technological development available at hand. Even though most corporate communication is in-house, among the employees and between associates and affiliates among the executives, effective communication plays a critical role in the response generated.
Effective communication skills are developed over a period of time and/or learned extensively at dedicated corporate training workshops and as a part of business management. However, they are expected to be tweaked within the work environment. Depending on the organizational culture developed and observed within work stations and the business premised at large, communication styles differ. There are many work environs that prefer the informal communication style, while some are strictly formal. This way or that, at grass root level the core components remain the same. At all times and within all preferred communication styles, effective communication skills need to be regularly updated and upgraded because in the modern corporate world there is no scope for stagnancy.
To keep up with the rest of the work force, establish a strong corporate identity and harness the ever-evolving corporate communication techniques, you need to consider applying the paradigm shifts as you adhere to the basic essentials that have stood the test of time. Effective corporate communication helps to address the need to span across physical boundaries and deliver vital information at a click, as a part of the business growth strategy. The technology is a part of every work station today, but are you using it to capacity?
Techniques for Effective Corporate Communication:
Timelines: It is crucial to remember that your business interests and business relationships may be spanning the continents and hence, respecting timelines and calculating deadlines are of utmost importance. You need to devise a technique to try out and confirm to the best communication ‘space’ that works for you. Always focus on saving time and ensuring timely execution of important strategies and business plans. In order to save time and meet organizational goals amidst the workforce in one physical arena as well as across the globe, you should capitalize on the communication media like efax and internet telephone at hand.
Protocol: Formal, as well as informal work environs demand respect for protocol. It is very important to follow the same when communicating too and ensure that the chosen communication technique or techniques are designed to meet specifications. Irrespective of whether you are personally communicating at a presentation or using some form of communication media, acknowledging seniors within the hierarchy chart over those on lower rungs ensures that you don’t rub sore shoulders. If this strategy is applied all the time, you will notice easier follow-through and much more clarity in the delegation and execution of work within the community.
Technology: Make the most of corporate communication mediums available at your disposal to build strong business relationships. You should optimize the use of online publications, Ezines and even automated responses to make your presence felt within the business community. This highly effective corporate communication technique or strategy helps you to literally ‘be’ at two or more places at the same time! Businesses around the world today, capitalize on the efficiency of electronic communication and internet technology. Don’t be left behind.
Techniques for good corporate communication have a number of tangible and intangible benefits including optimized increased revenue, improved customer retention and service and lead examples of corporate leadership to colleagues and new recruits. As you sway between the frustration and by-the-minute exerted stress of responsibilities, focusing on a positive mental attitude and keeping the tried and tested techniques for successful corporate communication in mind helps a lot.
“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” – George Bernard Shaw
This quote pretty much sums up the root cause of all conflicts in the workplace. Often it is seen that managers do not realize the importance of communication in the workplace and thus do not convey their ideas, organizational goals, employee duties, etc., very clearly. When the seniors in the organization are unable to create an organizational environment, which promotes open and clear communication, it can have negative repercussions on the work culture and the employee productivity. An organization where there is lack of effective and open communication, workplace issues such as high employee turnover and wastage of organizational resources, often arise. To avoid these, clear-cut and precise workplace communication is a must for any organization.
Importance of Communication in an Organization
Creates Job Satisfaction
The importance of communication in the workplace can be understood from the fact that organizations which create an environment of free flowing and easy correspondence between the seniors and subordinates face lesser employee turnover. If the subordinates feel free to question or put their view point across to their managers regarding work related issues, and their feedback is given due consideration, it makes the employees feel valued by the organization. Thus, effective communication in the workplace helps in building loyalty and trust and leads to greater job satisfaction.
Lesser Workplace Conflicts
Open communication in the workplace can save many workplace conflicts. For example, if two employees have a disagreement over some issue, and instead of resolving it and arriving at a solution, they end up taking the whole thing personally and if it continues for a very long period, it may lead to a work-related crisis wherein they might even refuse to talk or work together in the future. Such communication issues in the workplace can be nipped in the bud if the managers act as a mediator and let the two warring employees put across their thoughts and opinions to each other through open and clear communication. Thus, if the communication between various people in the organization is good, it will lead to successful conflict management in the workplace and employees will be able to understand each other’s point of view much more clearly.
Increases Workplace Productivity
In an organization, the manager should very clearly explain to his employees about their job responsibilities and duties, ways and protocol of doing work as well as the results which are expected of them. If the manager is clear in his communication, the subordinates will know exactly what the organization expects from them and thus, will be able to deliver the same to the best of their ability. Thus, importance of communication skills can be judged from the fact that it leads to better deliverance of work, increasing workplace productivity.
Secure Work Future
As everybody knows that communication is a two-way process. So, for the employees too, being vocal and communicative, leads to a better work future. If the employees have not understood their job responsibilities well and they do not even ask their managers to explain it to them again, they may end up handling an important assignment in a way which can prove detrimental to the organization. And, in some cases the employees may even face the risk of getting fired and losing their job. Thus, from the employee point of view, importance of communication in the workplace is that by openly discussing work or work-related issues with their managers, they can avoid all confusions. The employees will thus know what is the right thing to do and how it has to be done.
Formation of Relationships
Open communication, whether between the employees or between the employees and managers or between the management and all employees, leads to formation of better personal and professional relationships. If they frequently interact and communicate with each other over professional and personal issues, the employees feel cared for and this in turn creates better working relationships.
Proper Utilization of Resources
If an organization is facing problems, crisis and conflicts due to miscommunication between the employees, it causes unnecessary delays in the work. This leads to wastage of the organization’s resources and lowers the overall work productivity. So, an environment of good communication is a must for any organization to better utilize its resources and increase
Productivity in the workplace
The importance of communication in the workplace can be summed up in two words, “work satisfaction”. If the employees are satisfied working in an organization, there is no denying the fact that the future of that organization is absolutely secure. So, all workplaces today should create an environment wherein problems, plans, issues, opinions, thoughts and ideas pertaining to work, are discussed and handled in a professional, proficient manner through positive, effective communication.